Welcome to my blog! It's a place to write about my life. It includes everyday things, but mostly it's a place to share our homeschooling journey.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

School slowdown

School days are moving a little (ok a lot) more slowly these days. Between getting settled in at our new house (in a whole new state!) I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy (37 weeks today!) I just don't have the energy to do much. So Little Bear has been really directing what he wants to learn. We've been doing a lot of math. I bought the full version of Splash Math 1st Grade (http://studypadinc.com/) for the iPad a month or so ago. According to their chart my 5 year old is doing work that a 1st grader would be doing half way through their year. But he REALLY loves math. I've been impressed with Splash Math so far. I gives me a good view of his strengths and weaknesses. So we can work on them in school.

He's also been wanting to do extra Bible study. We even bought him his first Bible for Easter (his first real Bible and not a story book one). It's called The Hands on Bible http://www.newlivingtranslation.com/05discoverthenlt/hands_on_bible.asp) and so far he LOVES it. It has a ton of actives for us to do. Plus he just started going to AWANA so he's learning a lot of things from all different directions.

We've been working on his handwriting some. He's an awesome reader and a great speller, but his handwriting is lacking. But then, he IS only 5.

I'm looking at working more science into our school day but I think that's gonna have to wait until after we all get settled with the new baby. Although I have a feeling he'll be learning a lot of health facts in the coming months. Lol.

He's also trying to improve his chess game. He's getting pretty good at it. And he's back in gymnastics. He's come such a long way on just the few months he's been at his new school.

Hoping to remember to write here more often. Maybe I can even get somebody to read my blog from time to time. :)

Happy Spring everybody!

Mama Bear

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for using Splash Math app and we are glad that our app is helping your kid to learn math :-)

    ReplyDelete