Welcome to my blog! It's a place to write about my life. It includes everyday things, but mostly it's a place to share our homeschooling journey.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Not big on labels....

But my son is gifted. No I haven't had him tested for gifted ness, but I know it's there. At 2, when he went in for his speech testing, he tested at a 5 year old understanding. He taught himself to read between 18 months and 2 years old. It's there.

I don't use the word much, I prefer "accelerated learner" at this point to explain why he's a little different to people. And yes, they do notice. Within the first meeting most of the time.

It's a challenge too. He's so far above his 5 years in so many thing people forget that is IS just 5. Yes he reads. Yes he writes. Yes he does math. But know what? He can throw a fit with the best 5 year olds around. And his body moves as fast (and as much) as his mind. Both ALWAYS in motion.

People tend to think parenting an accelerated learner is easy. But I'm here to say NOT! I'm STILL dealing with a 5 year old boy....just one that is smarter then his mama most of the time. One who can argue with logic using all the things he reads and NEVER forgets.

Yeah, he's gifted. Yes, he's a gift. Yes, he's the Energizer Bunny somebody rewired to NEVER EVER STOP! Lol

"Nothing is as unequal as equal treatment of unequal people." - Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment