Welcome to my blog! It's a place to write about my life. It includes everyday things, but mostly it's a place to share our homeschooling journey.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What a Wacky Wednesday!

Lets see, I tried my hand at a File Folder game for Little Bear. I came across them on another blog and fell in love with the idea! I just did a simple one, nothing fancy like some I've seen. Little Bear has a problem with rhyming words, so I made a File Folder Game about rhyming words.

Here's the cover:



And here's the inside of the game along with a handmade envelope to keep the 'game pieces'.



And here's Little Bear playing his first ever File Folder Game.



So the concept is this: I print out on card stock pictures with their name (ie.
a picture of a tree with the word tree under it). Then I pasted them to the inside of the folder. Then the 'game pieces' are pictures with words printed out (also on card stocks) that rhyme with the words in the folder. Then Little Bear has to match the game piece to the picture it rhymes with. He's already played it 5 or 6 times, even taught his daddy how to play. So I think File Folder Games are a big Thumbs Up!

We also pulled out the Play-Duh today. And also pulled out the cookie cutters. We made shapes, and letters and numbers- we had a blast.



Ok, now on to a problem that I have. About the time my son turned 3, he started giving up naps. Which was ok, he still goes into quiet time. However, he's not sleeping good at night anymore. So I did some research, and the 'experts' say that a 3 year old should be getting 10.5 to 12.5 hours of sleep at night and 1 to 3 hours (1 nap) during the daytime. Now, I've always been big on schedules. He's ALWAYS had a bedtime, and he's been such a good sleeper. I know that he should be napping during the day, but how in the world do I *make* him take a nap? Do I get him up earlier in the morning? But that just makes him grumpy in the evening cause even those days he doesn't take a nap. But it's to the point that if we go anywhere after my husband gets off work (which is 4) that he falls asleep in the car. Which of course leds to him staying up even LATER at night.

We have moved his bedtime from 7:30 to 8:30 since it's still day time outside (and he wasn't going to sleep until then anyhow). But now he's staying up until 10 or later and getting up at about 8:30 (maybe a little later, maybe a little sooner).

We have the same routine as we always had. Supper, play, bath, quiet play (like games, and make believe or something), books, bed. Why is he fighting sleep so much? HELP! I'm at my wits-end. So if you know anything that might help, please, please, PLEASE leave me a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I had that issue with BabyGirl for a while. I talked to her pediatrician and she said that it is a phase that all toddlers go through. Some believe it is that they don't want to miss anything, some believe it is the fact that Mommy and Daddy stay up and they don't want to be separated. There are a million theories. But anyways, she recommended either softly playing classical music, which stimulates the brain while asleep but helps deeper sleep according to some studies (and what she was leaning towards), or a white noise machine and very heavy drapes to shield out sunlight. The classical worked for BabyGirl, sometimes I have to give her some Calm Forte before nap, depending on what we have been doing that day. The pediatrician also recommended that the hour before nap and the hour before bedtime routine starts to play hard with BabyGirl so that as she calms down from playing her natural body rhythm will ease her into sleep. It has helped, I don't know if it will help you, but I hope it does.

    ReplyDelete