Welcome to my blog! It's a place to write about my life. It includes everyday things, but mostly it's a place to share our homeschooling journey.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

This past week in review

Ok, so there's really nothing to review. We played a little chess. Colored a few pictures. We have both been sick this week so we just kinda took it off. But tonight I'll sit down and figure out this up coming week. The LAST week of JUNE! Can you believe it? We are going to learn about America in July, and since the 4th of July is a week away, I'm going to start July's unit study tomorrow. So I should have that up tonight or tomorrow what I plan on teaching during the Red, White & Blue unit study. It should be a lot of fun. I'm a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and Little Bear will be joining The Children of the American Revolution soon, so this is very close to my heart.

So my Sunday Question is this: How do you do to teach your child/ren to be patriotic?

1 comment:

  1. It is a little easier living on a base and/or being part of the military community. Every day at 7am they play Revelry on the base wide speakers. And (if we are up) I explain to BabyGirl that the music is Revelry and it is to wake up all the airmen base-wide so they can go do their job of protecting us and our country. Then at 4:30 they play the National Anthem. I tell her to be quiet and after it is over, I explain to her that it is The Star Spangled Banner and we have to be quiet and respect the song because it represents America. And then on the few nights she is still up at Taps, which is played at 10pm, We tell her Shhh, it's Taps. I haven't quite figured out how to explain that one to her yet.
    And with her seeing a lot of people in uniform all the time, it makes it easier to spark discussions about different things patriotic. We are going to talk about the presidents in July. I think knowing the history of our country is something that will help spark patriotism in it's own way.

    ReplyDelete