Welcome to my blog! It's a place to write about my life. It includes everyday things, but mostly it's a place to share our homeschooling journey.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sight Words & Muffin Tin Meal Success!

So first on the list, I bought Little Bear some Sight Words Flashcards (by Mead). There are 55 cards making 110 sight words (they are double sided). So today we sat down, opened the cards and we went throw them (our first time, mind ya). Out of 110 words he read 43 of them. 43! On his first round through them. 43!? I didn't know that he could read that many words. Guess he got me pretty good.

Muffin Tin Meals...I first heard about these over the weekend. It's where you take a muffin tin, and fill each little cup with a different food for either snack or lunch time. The idea is to have at least one thing from each food group. This concept sparked my mind, and well, today I tried it for lunch. Little Bear is in his 'picky' stage and I hear "I don't like that" at least 2 or 3 times a day. He was getting stuck on PB&J sandwiches every day...nothing wrong with that, I just thought it was time for something new. So this is what I made for him:



There's celery (which he's never eaten...just put to his lips and spoke his motto "I don't like that") with peanut butter. Real Fruit Bites by DOLE. 3 Nilla waffers (I know, I have two foods in one cup, but hey!). Vanilla yogurt with sprinkles. A serving of cheddar cheese (LOVE pre-packaged). Some honey turkey (he doesn't eat meat hardly). And lastly, some wheat thins.

Well, he was super excited when I put it down in front of him at lunch time, but the question is, did he eat it?

Yup, all but a bite of celery and he didn't care much for the fruit bites. I was amazed! He ate the celery. He ate the turkey!



I guess sometimes it IS about how you put it on the table. Who knew serving lunch in a muffin tin would be a complete SUCCESS!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Love the muffin tin cup idea...I have heard of it before, but have not tired it out, may have to do that :D We have been stuck on honey and PB sandwiches the last few days, but mostly b/c I have to hit the grocery store. lol (sad I know).

    ReplyDelete